NC State University has created a multifaceted wellness strategy which serves as the institution’s approach for university wellness initiatives. It is derived from foundational frameworks of the socioecological model of health promotion, common language from the Gallup-Purdue text, Wellbeing and concepts from Simon Sinek’s It Starts With Why.
NC State Definition of Wellness
Wellness is the connected and interactive combination of six elements that foster a balanced, holistic life. This is achieved by having: love for what is done each day, security of finances, vibrancy of physical health, self-awareness and emotional resiliency, quality relationships, and pride in what is contributed to our communities.
Elements of Wellness
- Regularly engaging in meaningful and satisfying work that aligns with personal values and goals.
- Managing health through regular exercise, eating a balanced, nutritious diet and maintaining adequate sleep.
- The awareness of current financial position and budgets and having resources to meet basic needs by saving and spending wisely.
- The ability to be self-aware and cope with challenges and needs while developing overall resiliency.
- Developing supportive networks by cultivating new or existing relationships.
- The opportunity to contribute and connect individual passions and strengths that foster a safe and supportive environment.
NC State is proud to participate in the following national wellness initiatives:
The Partnership for a Healthier America Healthier Campus Initiative
- A three-year commitment to make the campus healthier by adopting guidelines on food and nutrition, physical activity and programming. The commitment works with the private sector and PHA honorary chair First Lady Michelle Obama to make healthier choices easier.
- NC State was the first to implement all 23 guidelines in the first year of its commitment to encourage healthier options to more than 40,000 students, faculty and staff.
- University Recreation partners with University Dining and Transportation on this initiative.
Exercise is Medicine On-Campus
- In partnership with the Counseling Center and Student Health Services, this medical and counseling referral program prescribes students exercise to alleviate mental health and chronic disease symptoms. The Exercise Is Medicine® program at NC State received a gold-level recognition from the American College of Sports Medicine.