Mental Health First Aid
What is Mental Health First Aid?
If someone suffers a heart attack or other medical emergency, you offer first aid (and call 911). But, what do you do if someone is experiencing a mental health crisis or developing a mental health concern?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an eight-hour training program designed to help you develop essential skills to help someone experiencing a mental health or substance use challenge. The training helps you identify, understand and respond to signs of addictions and mental illness. The MHFA workshop is available as a single full-day session or as two half-day sessions. Through funding from the University of North Carolina System, we are able to offer MHFA workshops at no cost to participants.
Register for MHFA Training
You can organize a MHFA workshop specifically for your group. Request MHFA for your student organization, college, or department.
Click below to view upcoming sessions open to students, staff, and faculty.
MHFA Training Dates
These courses will be conducted hybrid-style. Participants must complete a two-hour self-paced online course BEFORE participation in the lecture section. The live portion of the training will occur virtually via zoom. The self-paced course material will be sent out one week prior to the zoom session. Participants who do not fully complete the self-paced online course will be unenrolled from the live event.
- Tuesday, July 19, 2022, and Wednesday, July 20, 2022 | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Monday, August 29, 2022 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday, September 22, 2022 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday, October 14, 2022 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 15, 2022 and Wednesday, November 16, 2022 | 9 am – 1 pm
- Thursday, December 15, 2022 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2023 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Monday, March 27, 2023 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 19, 2023 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 10, 2023 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday, May 25, 2023 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 7, 2023 and Thursday, June 8, 2023 | 9 am – 1 pm
- Monday, June 19, 2023 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Select the date that works best for you and register here.
NC State MHFA Instructors are on the front lines of the program and train people on campus. The following individuals are certified to teach the course on campus and beyond.
- Alexis Steptoe, Wellness and Recreation
- Avery Tuttle, Human Resources
- Beth Buck, DASA Human Resources
- Britt Hurst, University Human Resources
- Claudia Mello, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Dan O’Brien, University Human Resources
- Des Woods, University Housing
- Domonique Carter, College of Engineering
- Donna Burton, Exploratory Studies – University College
- Jill Phipps, Office of Information Technology
- Julia Rice, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Kimberly Bush, Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
- Laura Boyd, Prevention Services
- Lauren Smith, Dining
- Lily Palmer, Wellness and Recreation
- Lindsey Hubbard, University Housing
- Mia Kennedy, Prevention Services
- Michele Kurtz, Student Leadership and Engagement
- Murray Gibson, University Police
- Nikki Kurdys, Cooperative Extension
- Richard Spontak, Materials Science and Engineering
- Shannon DuPree, Wellness and Recreation
- Sheri Renno, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Tina Nelson Moss, Risk Assessment
- Whitney Becker, Wellness and Recreation