Physical activity is any body movement that works your muscles and requires the use of energy. Walking, climbing the stairs, playing basketball, or dancing are all good examples of being active. For health benefits, physical activity should be moderate or vigorous intensity.
Benefits of Regular Physical Activity
- Improve mood and mental health
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- Control weight
- Reduce risk of:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Some cancers
- Increase chances of living longer
Body Mass Index
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.
University Recreation offers multi-faceted programs and services for Faculty, Staff and Students including:
- Group Fitness ClassesMore than 100 classes offered per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. The schedule offers a variety of class formats, including BODYPUMP™, TRX®, Yoga, Cycling and ZUMBA®
- Personal TrainingNationally certified personal trainers will develop an exercise program individually tailored to meet the needs and goals of the participant
- Small Group TrainingSmall Group Training provides a fun yet challenging experience utilizing specialized equipment. Each class is taught by a certified personal trainer or instructor
- Intramural SportsIntramural Sports offer NC State students, faculty and staff the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports, tournaments and special activities throughout the year. 17-20 sports per semester are programmed
- Club SportsClub Sports are student-run organizations with an emphasis on leadership, service and engagement. Clubs range from Martial Arts to Ice Hockey
- Private Swim LessonsDevelop new skills or prepare for the next meet with Private Swim Lessons. Work individually or in a group with a certified swim instructor and learn techniques for basic water survival or stroke refinement
MapMyWalk is a fitness tracking application (available online or as a mobile app) that enables you to track your walks. You can use the built-in GPS of your mobile device or record your work out details, including duration, distance, calories burned, route traveled and more on an interactive map.
The State Health Plan offers members health coaching free of charge. Health coaches include registered dietitians, nutritionists, personal trainers, exercise physiologists, weight loss therapists and health educators. Health coaches can help members:
- Get to a healthy weight
- Cope with life stresses
- Start an exercise program
- Find ways to eat healthier
- Create a plan of action
- Celebrate success
Members can call a NC HealthSmart health coach at 1-800-817-7044.
Additional Online Resources