The ability to identify your needs, cope with tough situations and manage stress are some of the aspects of emotional wellbeing. A positive sense of emotional wellbeing will allow you to be able to function in society and handle the demands of everyday life.
There are good and bad forms of stress. The good form of stress, eustress, is the type of stress you feel when you are excited. In small doses, stress has some advantages. Eustress can provide bursts of energy, is often short term and can improve memory. Bad stress, distress, is negative stress that can be ongoing and hinder your everyday life and daily tasks.
Side Effects of Distress
- High blood pressure
- Weakened immune system
- Difficulty concentrating
Sleep is an essential part of good health and emotional wellbeing. On average, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep each night. During sleep the body is working to support healthy brain function. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, a good night’s sleep improves learning.
Benefits of Sleep
- Improve memory
- Increase energy
- Sharpen attention
- Reduce Stress
- Decrease anxiety and depression
- Improve emotional stability
If you feel sad, anxious, irritable, hyper or out of control, one of the Counseling Center’s free online screenings for a range of common emotional conditions may help you determine the root causes of these feelings. You can complete an online screening anonymously in just a few minutes. Although the feedback you receive from the screening is not a medical diagnosis, it can help you decide if you could benefit from counseling.
Online screenings are available for:
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
- Alcohol use disorder
- Eating disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
If you think counseling could help you, learn how to make an appointment at the Counseling Center.
Custom wellness educational sessions for faculty, staff and students on a variety of topics, including stress, time management and happiness are available:
- Putting Stress to RestTechniques and strategies you can use to help improve your stress management skills.
- Art of Being a Goal GetterEstablishing goals for your well-being, academics, or personal life, this session will provide personalized strategies for planning and overcoming obstacles for success.
- Top 5 Ways to Boost Your HappinessLearn quick ways to improve your mood through the top 5 proven methods for happiness. This session will show you small changes that can make a large impact on your stress, mood, and ability to be happier, instantly.