The ability to identify your needs, cope with tough situations and manage stress are some of the aspects of emotional wellbeing. A positive sense of emotional wellbeing will allow you to be able to function in society and handle the demands of everyday life.
There are good and bad forms of stress. The good form of stress, eustress, is the type of stress you feel when you are excited. In small doses, stress has some advantages. Eustress can provide bursts of energy, is often short-term and can improve memory. Bad stress, distress, is negative stress that can be ongoing and hinder your everyday life and daily tasks. Tt may feel like it’s something that is longer-term and that we don’t feel like we have the skills to cope with it.
Side Effects of Distress
- High blood pressure
- Weakened immune system
- Difficulty concentrating
Sleep is an essential part of good health and emotional wellbeing. On average, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep each night. During sleep the body is working to support healthy brain function. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, a good night’s sleep improves learning and overall physical well-being.
Benefits of Sleep
- Improve memory
- Increase energy
- Sharpen attention
- Reduce Stress
- Decrease anxiety and depression
- Improve emotional stability
If you feel sad, anxious, irritable, hyper or out of control, one of the Counseling Center’s free online screenings for a range of common emotional conditions may help you determine the root causes of these feelings. You can complete an online screening anonymously in just a few minutes. Although the feedback you receive from the screening is not a medical diagnosis, it can help you decide if you could benefit from counseling.
Online screenings are available for:
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
- Alcohol use disorder
- Eating disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
If you think counseling could help you, learn how to make an appointment at the Counseling Center.
Wellness and Recreation
Custom wellness educational sessions for faculty, staff and students on a variety of topics, including stress, time management and happiness are available:
- Putting Stress to Rest Techniques and strategies you can use to help improve your stress management skills.
- Art of Being a Goal Getter Establishing goals for your well-being, academics, or personal life, this session will provide personalized strategies for planning and overcoming obstacles for success.
Wellness coaching is a free service, providing NC State students with education, support and encouragement to develop behaviors for a healthier lifestyle.
Wellness coaching takes a holistic approach to discovering how personal wellness impacts student success, strengths, values and goals. You can establish a wellness plan and stay accountable with your certified health coach in areas such as:
- Stress management.
- Time management.
- Sleep hygiene.
- Weight management.
- Chronic disease management.
- Goal setting.
Activ8 Your Health
Work with a certified health coach that will provide guidance, motivation, and hold you accountable to achieve your goals.
- Individual and group coaching.
- Individualized goal setting and tracking
- Regular communication with a certified health coach who specializes in coaching and behavior change
- Regular communication with a wellness coach, an ACE® certified health coach who specializes in health coaching and behavior change.
Additional Online Resources